Cornbread Dressing is a classic Southern dish.
If I had to pick one thing that Mama always had at Thanksgiving, it would be her cornbread dressing. And it's a common part of most holiday meals. Mama and I would look for every shortcut and way to save time we could when we were making the holiday meal because the holidays are a busy time.
To make Mama's Cornbread Dressing you’ll need the following ingredients :
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups finely crumbled toasted bread
- 4 cups finely crumbled cornbread
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- turkey broth
- 4 large eggs, beaten
So how to make Mama's Cornbread Dressing?
- In a skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery, and cook them until they are soft.
- Mix the toasted bread and the cornbread together in a large bowl.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, sage, poultry seasoning, and the cooking liquid from the onions and celery.
- Using a bulb baster, add just enough turkey giblet broth to make a very moist mixture. Stir in the eggs and scrape the dressing into a large greased baking pan or dish.
- Bake in an oven set to 400 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the dressing has a nice brown color.
We use cornbread to make our dressing. Period. But because my mother isn't from the South, she does things a little differently… and everyone loves it!
By adding traditional packaged stuffing mix i, she came up with a recipe that is a mix of traditional stuffing that everyone loves. And it's amazing!
My southern family loves this dressing, but I'm not sure if most of them know it also has regular bread stuffing in it.